38th Diocesan Annual Convention for
The Episcopal Church in East Tennessee
February 3-4, 2023
“Presence is the Starting Place for Equal Engagement”
DELEGATE PROFILE (voting)
- Confirmed communicant in good standing, at least 16 years of age 1,2,3
- Desires to participate in the ministry of governance
- Total minimum time commitment 6 – 9 hours, more if attending optional events.
- Capacity to show up mentally, spiritually, and physically at St. John’s in Johnson City for 4 hours of business meeting Saturday, February 4th, 2023, approximately 8:30am to 12:30pm.
- Ability to participate in pre-convention hearings and trainings by Zoom in December and January (dates & times TBD) in preparation for making decisions and voting at the main business session
- Facility with technology, willingness to learn, and grace-filled patience when technology doesn’t respond as planned
- Openness and curiosity regarding the voice of the Holy Spirit
- Passion for connecting our community in Christ with our current sense of God’s mission
All voting Delegates are required to have access to their own device for voting:
- Smart phone, tablet, laptop, or personal computer
- Delegate MUST be able to receive and access messages (with voting links) sent to their own unique email address
- Delegates are responsible for securing a reliable internet connection via Wi-Fi, or cellular data plan for digital meetings held in preparation for convention with understanding that the diocese cannot reimburse any costs incurred by cell phone data usage
Note: Delegates will be registered through your parish. However, separate workshop registrations will become available in November or December. Please be on the lookout for a “workshop” tab at the top of this website and for workshop specific communication in our convention newsletters.
1 Diocese of East Tennessee Constitution & Canons, Title I Canon 3 Section 8(b)
It shall be the duty of each Chapel Board and of the Vestry of each Congregation to elect its Lay Delegates and an equal number of Alternates, each of whom shall be a Confirmed Communicant in Good Standing of the Congregation and at least sixteen years of age.
2 The Episcopal Church Constitution & Canons, Title I Canon 17 Section 3
All communicants of this Church who for the previous year have been faithful in corporate worship, unless for good cause prevented, and have been faithful in working, praying, and giving for the spread of the Kingdom of God, are to be considered communicants in good standing.
3 Other conditions may be present in the by-laws of the parish, worshiping community, or chaplaincy
This year, we will also elect leadership for the General Convention of The Episcopal Church for General Convention #81 in 2024 in Louisville, KY.
The convention, meeting in early February of each year, rotates between each of our three regions: the South East region (Chattanooga), the Middle East region (Knoxville, and the Upper East region (Kingsport/Johnson City).
Convention has also included some form of activity for youth and young adults.
Please note, all delegates, alternates, clergy, and participants will be subscribed to the diocesan newsletter as this is our main vehicle for convention communication in addition to this website. Should you wish to not receive the diocesan newsletter after the convention, please either email Bro. Andrew at email@example.com or update your subscription preferences with the link at the bottom of the newsletter.